Community

Strangers to Friends: The Message of Passover

Posted on March 5, 2018

Passover is my favorite Jewish holiday of the year. Why, you may ask? It certainly isn’t because of the delicious matzah, that’s for sure! (I confess, though. I do like to make matzah brie…) No. I love Passover because of the message of the holiday. “Remember, you were strangers.” I remember when my family first Continue Reading »

The Warmest Time of the Year

Posted on January 14, 2018

During the first week of December I had the pleasure of attending the Union for Reform Judaism Biennial in Boston. You’re going to read quite a bit about the Biennial elsewhere in this edition of the Shofar, so rather than “pile on” to that subject, I’d like to talk about how warm it is. That Continue Reading »

Covenantal Kindness from Generation to Generation

Posted on November 12, 2017

Our tradition teaches us that the deeds we do for the deceased are among the greatest kindnesses possible. Clearly our sages had in mind that such acts are untainted by thoughts of self-service, since there is nothing the dead can do to requite us. A recent experience, however, helped me see a deeper dimension to Continue Reading »

Building Community Inside and Out

Posted on November 5, 2017

One of the things I enjoy most about being part of the leadership of Temple Beth-El is the opportunity to speak to our young people on the morning of their bar or bat mitzvah. On each such occasion, I make sure to emphasize that as young Jewish adults, they will have a different and increased Continue Reading »

A Great Place for Coffee and Connection

Posted on November 1, 2017

You may stop by Cafe Beth-El, Temple Beth-El’s bagel cafe, on Sunday mornings only once in a while, or you may be a die-hard regular. Either way, did you know that buying your morning bagel and coffee is a mitzvah for our congregation? That’s because all the proceeds go to supporting the religious school, which Continue Reading »

A Congregational Assessment: What We Learned

Posted on May 4, 2017

Temple Beth-El had the privilege of participating in a pilot data assessment program through the Union for Reform Judaism (URJ) this past year. The pilot program included a total of 11 synagogues, all about the same size as TBE, and had three components: a congregational assessment, a Board of Trustees assessment and a financial and Continue Reading »

Honoring Those Who Seek it Least and Deserve it Most: Betty and Arthur Roswell

Posted on November 1, 2016

Who are most honorable? Those who honor others. — Pirkei Avot There are those who seek honor. From them, says the Talmud, honor runs away. On the other hand, those who do good for the sake of the deed and for the betterment of others are truly worthy of our respect. To honor such people is Continue Reading »