Community

From Our President: Chazon Restoration Campaign

Posted on November 13, 2020

Over the summer, I was struck by the timeliness of a teaching from parsha Ki Teitzei in the Book of Deuteronomy. I was intrigued by how relevant the first three verses of Chapter 22 seemed to be in our current circumstances: (1) If you see your fellow’s ox or sheep gone astray, do not ignore Continue Reading »

A Time for Repentance and Action

Posted on June 7, 2020

Dear friends, As Shabbat arrives this evening, we say goodbye to another tumultuous week. Many of you have shared the strong emotions you are feeling as we process a precarious shift from lockdown to tentative re-openings that feel precipitous to many of us. We continue, as well, to sort out our feelings and emotions about Continue Reading »

Helping Hands

Posted on May 28, 2020

Our Helping Hands initiative continues to grow in strength and in need, as the coronavirus quarantine stretches on. The initiative was launched to ensure the well-being and safety of our senior and at-risk congregants, and by every measure, it’s making a difference in many lives, in many ways. Said one congregant, “I’m alone in my Continue Reading »

Finding Meaning in Challenging Times

Posted on April 7, 2020

The last three weeks have been as challenging as any in my recent memory, and I suspect this statement is true for each and every one of us. And while it is easy (especially for me) to focus on the things that are not-so-great at the moment, I think it is also an opportunity to Continue Reading »

Finding the Right Balance

Posted on January 15, 2020

Our family had the opportunity to spend the holidays in London this year. I often travel there for business, but other than a lovely view of the Tower Bridge outside my conference room window, I rarely have a chance to enjoy the sights and venues of the city. This was our first trip there as Continue Reading »

Honorable Menschen (Summer 2019-Winter 2020)

Summer to Fall 2019 Our mini-golf outing was a big success thanks to the tireless efforts of three delightful women: Dana Shapiro, Jodi Smith, and Andrea Dean. Leading up to the event, a small army of volunteers canvassed area businesses for donations to create a wonderful array of gift baskets. The event drew individuals and Continue Reading »

Woman of Valor

Sisterhood Woman of Valor 2019-20: Jodi Siegal Sisterhood held its annual Woman of Valor dinner on Dec. 19, 2019, honoring Jodi Siegal. Approximately 50 Sisterhood members attended the dinner to honor Jodi, whose commitment to community is evidenced by her many activities at TBE since becoming a member in 2000. Jodi is a TBE board Continue Reading »

Standing Together at Sinai, Soul to Soul: A profile of Russ and Barb Johnston

For years, Barbara and Russ Johnston have been a fixture at TBE. They’ve been the friendly faces at the Bagel Cafe, Sisterhood and the temple choir. But what you may not know about the Johnstons is their special love story – not just for each other, but for Temple Beth-El, the community that first brought Continue Reading »

Red Sea, Burning Bush, MahJongg

Posted on November 15, 2019

Every so often, I think about some of the big mysteries of Judaism that have intrigued me since my Hebrew school days long ago. Did the Red Sea really part, allowing our ancestors to escape 40 years of brutal slavery and an evil dictator? Did Moses hear the voice of God coming from a burning Continue Reading »

Beyond the Hug: How to Deepen Out TBE Ties

Posted on November 15, 2019

As I reflect upon our recent High Holiday worship, I continue to return to thoughts on the impact that Temple Beth-El has had in my life, both as a long-time congregant and a relatively new president still getting my feet wet in this role. And much of what I wish to accomplish during these next Continue Reading »