TBE’s Refugee Resettlement Initiative
Temple Beth-El has joined efforts with The Jewish Center’s Interfaith Refugee Resettlement Committee (TJC/IRRC) in Princeton (www.princetonrefugee.org) and Interfaith-RISE, based in Highland Park (www.interfaithrise.org), to help deliver resettlement services for Afghan refugees making their home in central New Jersey.
By the Numbers
- 600,000 Afghans have been internally displaced due to increased violence since January 2021–eighty percent of all recently displaced Afghans are women and children.
- 65 percent of all Afghans (both refugees and those living in Afghanistan) are children and young people.
- Today, nearly 6 million Afghans have been driven from their homes and their country by conflict, violence, and persecution.
- To date, TJC/IRRC and I-RISE have helped to resettle more than 50 Afghans, and more than 200 more are waiting to be processed at military bases in New Jersey before being settled in central New Jersey.
Now is our time to say “Hineni…Here I am” and help to welcome our new neighbors.
There are many ways you can become involved and make a meaningful difference in the lives of our new neighbors.
- It may be a one-time shift to help set up an apartment, or purchase food and cook a hot meal when individuals first arrive at their new apartment.
- Or you may want to make an ongoing commitment to provide ESL services or engage in conversational English.
- Or maybe you’d prefer a more “behind-the-scenes” role and want to join TBE’s Refugee Resettlement Committee and help to chart the course for the work we’re doing.
Visit this page for a list of current volunteer opportunities to consider. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need more information.