Connect with Zoom
To help us stay connected as best possible, we will be using Zoom, a web-based video- and teleconferencing platform. If you are new to Zoom (or want to refine your skills), we offer instructions and helpful hints.
There are many resources and training videos on Zoom’s website. Click on “Resources” in the upper navigation.
How you can use Zoom
- You can use Zoom on your computer, iphone, android phone, tablet.
- You can use it on your desktop or your download an app on your computer or phone.
- You can listen in by landline phone as well.
Zoom Instructions: Download and install the Zoom App on your computer, smartphone or tablet prior to joining a meeting.
- Go to zoom.us
- Click “Sign Up – It’s Free” at the upper right, OR
- Go to the “Resources” tab at the upper right and click on “Download Zoom Client”
- Follow the instructions listed.
- Note: if you click on a link to join a Zoom and do not already have Zoom installed, you will be prompted to download the app before you can join the call.
Join a Zoom Meeting
A few minutes before your Zoom is scheduled to begin, click on the Zoom link you were given. This is the simplest video on how to “join a meeting.”
Tips for Participating
There is a menu of options at the bottom of your screen (if you don’t see the menu, just move your cursor to or tap the bottom of your screen, and it will pop up):
- Mute/Unmute – This button allows you to turn your microphone on and off. It’s a good idea to be in a relatively quiet place when you join the meeting. If you talk to someone else when you are unmuted, we can hear you. You may want to consider earphones. You can unmute when called on to make a comment. In large settings, we may mute you.
- Stop Video – This option turns off your webcam. You can still see others, but they cannot see you.
- Chat – This opens a panel where you can type a question or make a comment. Within the panel, you will have options for chatting with everyone or selecting a specific participant.
- Q&A – This allows you to pose a question in Webinar sessions.
- Leave Meeting – When the meeting ends (or when you need to go), click here or simply close the app.
In a Zoom Meeting, you have view options. The Speaker View highlights the person speaking in a larger window. The Gallery View shows all participants in small boxes with the speaker highlighted yellow. In a Zoom Webinar, you will see what is being broadcast.